Keynote / Prestige Lectures
Keynote Lecture to International Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference, Sydney, 30th April 2022
Decarbonising Heating using the Ground. Keynote lecture to the Engineering Group of the Geological Society Annual Conference, Cambridge, 1st April 2022.
The thermal behaviour of foundation piles used for heat exchange and storage. Advances in Geotechnical Engineering from Research to Practice (AGERP), Lecture 9 Energy Geotechnics. 30th October 2020.
2014 Geotechnical Engineering Lecture. Thermal Response Testing: Challenges and New Applications. Hosted by the British Geotechnical Association at the Institution of Civil Engineers, 12th November 2014. [And repeated to the North West Geotechnical Group on the 4th March 2015.]
International Conference Presentations
10. Harvesting Energy from Buried Infrastructure: Current UKCRIC research. Virtual European Geoscience Union, 5th May 2020.
9. Error analysis of the thermal cell for soil thermal conductivity measurement. Invited presentation to the Geotechnics in Energy Provision Symposium, Dundee, 23rd June 2017.
8. Long term monitoring of CFA energy pile schemes in the UK. Selected paper presentation at the 1st International Conference on energy geotechnics, Keil, Germany, 29-31 August 2016.
7. Average temperature of energy foundations. Selected paper presentation at ASCE Geo-Chicago, 15-17 August 2016.
6. Group thermal response testing for energy piles. Selected for presentation at the European conference for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Edinburgh, UK, 13 – 17 September 2015.
5. What is the potential for pipe to pipe interactions in energy piles? Selected paper presentation to be given to the International Symposium on Energy Geotechnics, 4th June 2015.
4. Position paper, Task Force 3: Energy geo-structures and storage of thermal energy in the ground. Invited paper to be presented to the International Symposium on Energy Geotechnics, 2nd June 2015
3. Assessing the applicability of thermal response testing to energy piles. Selected paper presentation to International Conference on Piling and Deep Foundations in Stockholm on the 21st May 2014.
2. Performance of Piled Foundations Used as Heat Exchangers. Contribution to the 18th International Conference for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Paris, France on 4th September, 2013.
1. Energy Pile Performance and Preventing Ground Freezing. Paper presentation at the International Conference on Geomechanics and Engineering (ICGE’12), Seoul, 29th August, 2012.
Other Invited Presentations, Seminars & Contributions to Workshops
40. Lessons from borehole and energy pile GSHP systems in the UK. Invited presentation to IEA HPT Annex 52 Final Webinar, 13th June 2022.
39. Geological Engineering for Critical Infrastructure: from practice to research and back again, Invited presentation to University College Dublin Geological Society, 26th May 2022.
38. How clay earthworks deteriorate: understanding the now and forecasting the future. An update on the ACHILLES programme grant. Invited presentation to the Ground Engineering Asset Resilience Workshop, London,18th May 2022.
37. Energy Systems. Invited presented to “Working with UKCRIC to accelerate research in infrastructure and cities”, PEARL, Dagenham, London, 17th May 2022.
36. Ground Source Heat Pumps – Concepts and ground investigation requirements. Lunchtime seminar for CGL. 10th May 2022.
35. Energy Geostructures: using our sub-structures for ground heat exchange and storage. Online presentation to the Institute of Structural Engineers, Scotland. 16th February 2021.
34. IEA Heat Pumping Technologies Annex 52 Update. Presentation to the BEIS Heat Pump Meeting 18th November 2020.
33. Thermal conductivity testing for Energy Foundations. Invited presentation to Deep Foundations Institute webinar series on Energy Foundations. 15th July 2020.
32. Long term monitoring of CFA Energy Pile Schemes in the UK. Invited presentation to IEA Heat Pump Workshop 2019 organised and hosted by BEIS. London, 18th September 2019.
31. UK Monitoring Projects. Presentation to the IEA HTP Annex 52 Experts Meeting on Long Term Performance of Ground Source Heat Pump Systems. London, 16th September 2019.
30. Thermal analysis and design for energy geostructures. Invited presentation to “How to plan a successful thermo-active geostructure design?” COST Action TU 1405 – GABI Final Workshop, IFSTTAR, Marne La Vallée, Paris, 31st January 2019.
29. Can laboratory tests replace field testing for soil/rock thermal conductivity? Presentation to the University of Melbourne as part of 2017 Melbourne School of Engineering & IT Visiting Fellowship, October 2017.
28. Determining thermal properties for energy piles and other energy geostructures. Invited presentation to seminar on geothermal applications for buildings and infrastructure at the Hotel of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria on 25th-27th September 2017.
27. Energy efficiency of building foundations used a heat exchangers. Invited talk at City University, 1st March, 2017.
26. The impact of climate change on railway earth structures. Priestly Centre Climate Exchange Seminar at the University of Leeds, 16th February, 2017.
25. Energy efficiency of building foundations used a heat exchangers. Invited talk at the University of Durham, 9th November, 2016.
24. Using piled foundations as ground heat exchangers, invited lecture to “GeoEnergidagen”, Stockholm, 12-13 October, 2016.
23. Long term energy pile monitoring sites. Invited contribution to the Environmental Association of Universities and Colleges Conference (with Tony Amis of GI Energy), Bristol, 26th May 2016.
22. Long term energy pile monitoring sites. Invited contribution to the workshop “Energy GeoStructures – A solution for long term economic and environmental benefits in urban development” at the Technical University of Cluj Napoca, Romania, 22nd March 2016.
21. Thermo-active structure functioning. Invited contribution to the workshop “Thermo-active geostructures: experiences around Europe, held under the auspices of the Portuguese Platform for Shallow Geothermal Energy and the Portuguese Geotechnical Society in Lisbon on the 10th December 2015.
20. Energy piles: developments in Europe. Invited lecture to the Australian Geomechanics Association, Melbourne, Australia, 28th October 2015.
19. Thermal Response Testing: Challenges and New Applications. Invited seminar at the University of Melbourne, Australia on 26th October 2015.
18. Energy piles: past, present & future. Invited seminar at the University of Trento, Italy, on 26th November 2014.
17. iSMART breakout session leader, Emap Slope Engineering pre-Conference Workshop, London, 18th November 2014.
16. Energy piles: planning, investigation & delivering sustainability. Invited presentation to the Emap Piling and Foundations conference held in London on the 30th April 2014.
15. Geothermal energy and geotechnics (with Mark Hinton of Atkins). Invited presentation to the Southern Geotechnical Group on the 21st January 2014 at Brighton University.
14. Thermal response testing for large diameter heat exchangers. Invited presetation to the Ground Source Heat Pump Association Technical Seminar in London on the 5th December 2013.
13. Thermal analysis: the limitations of existing design approaches for pile heat exchangers. Contribution to The International Workshop of Thermo-Active Geotechnical Systems for Near Surface Energy: from Research to Practice held between 25th and 27th March 2013 at EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland.
12. The importance of concrete thermal properties for thermal pile performance. Invited presentation to the Ground Source Heat Pump Association Technical Seminar, held at Cardiff University on 27th September 2012.
11. The thermal performance of piled foundations used as heat exchangers. Invited presentation to the British Geotechnical Association Annual Conference, held at the Institution of Civil Engineers, London on 19th September 2012.
10. Progress on thermal piles. Invited presentation to the Piling and Foundations Conference, held in London on the 9th May 2012.
9. The Periglacial Legacy: Landslide Stabilisation on the M25. Invited presentation to the Engineering Group of the Geology Society Forum, held at the Royal Geographical Society on 23rd November 2011.
8. The behaviour of foundation piles used as heat exchangers. Invited presentation to the Ground Source Heat Pump Association Technical Seminar held at University of Cambridge on 16th November 2011.
7. The Impact of Climate and Climate Change on UK Infrastructure Slopes. Invited presentation to the South East Regional Group of the Geological Society at Sussex University on the 12th October 2010.
6. The Impact of Climate and Climate Change on UK Infrastructure Slopes. Invited presentation to the Thames Valley Regional Group of the Geological Society in Reading on 17th November 2009.
5. Climate change and infrastructure slopes – What does it all mean? Invited presentation to the Climate Impact Forecasting for Slopes dissemination symposium held at Loughborough University on 5th February 2008.
4. Network Rail Seasonal Preparedness Study. Invited presentation to the British Geotechnical Association workshop “Maintenance of aging earthworks”, held at the Institution of Civil Engineers, London, on 16th January 2008.
3. What to do with a vegetated clay embankment? Invited paper and presentation to Slope Engineering 2007, London, 5th July 2007.
2. Climate change and slopes, an industry perspective. Invited presentation to the Building Knowledge for Climate Change Dissemination Conference, University of Manchester, 28 march 2007.
1. Rail Embankments and Climate: Mind the Gap. Invited presentation to the 3rd Climate Impact Forecasting for Slopes workshop, held at Newcastle University on 11th January 2007 (with Tony O’Brien).